Dwp backdating claims

There are some different rules that apply when we calculate Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Support (CTS) for pensioners.This page gives some details about what those rules are and where pensioners can find further information.

dwp backdating claims-10dwp backdating claims-26dwp backdating claims-64

Yes, anyone with a low income may be able to get Housing Benefit subject to the conditions being met.The amount of any Housing Benefit payable would depend on your self-employed earnings, and any other earnings and benefits that you receive.From 1 April 2016 the law is changing so that the maximum time a housing benefit claim for a person of working age can be backdated will be one month (instead of 6 months).This will affect any claims and requests for backdated housing benefit made on or after 1 April 2016.Your family circumstances and the amount you have to pay to your landlord may also affect any possible entitlement to Housing Benefit.

We will ask you to provide us with an estimate of your likely earnings and make an award of Housing Benefit for a temporary period.You may be able to get Housing Benefit if you are a student: If you want to claim Housing Benefit fill in a Student form with your new claim form.You can apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Rebate if you or your partner are self-employed.Under Council Tax rules, pensioners have a prescribed Council Tax Support scheme which gives them a degree of protection when claiming for help to pay their Council Tax. A pensioner is a person who has reached state pension age. Use the State Pension calculator to work out what age this is for you.If the person is in a couple has reached state pensionable age, then they are a pensioner couple even if the partner is under pension age. Where either the claimant or their partner is aged 60 to 64 and in receipt of Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income.